Selling your home in winter may give you a competitive edge. Typically, there aren’t as many other homes on the market. You will see more “real” buyers instead of window shoppers. But the one difference in marketing your home in the winter is that many aspects of your home are more visible without the summer foliage and landscaping. You must be sure that your home still shows well in the cold winter months.
Tips for Selling Your Home in the Winter
- Make sure any wood trim or shutters, as well as your front door, are in great shape and have a new coat of paint.
- Trim and cleanup any dead plantings or shrubbery left over from the growing season.
- Even if you can’t have live plants at this time of year, you can put out seasonal decorations in your planters and a wreath on the front door for a welcoming touch.
- Make sure you keep the driveway and entryway clear of any snow and ice for would-be buyers. Don’t forget the deck or patio.
- Stage your outdoor areas with a fire pit and comfy outdoor pillows and throws, to promote welcoming spaces that might not be as obvious in the cold months.
- Make sure your exterior and entry way lights are on. This is not only welcoming but it will make for a safer environment.
- Lay out a special welcome mat or shoe protectors to keep the snow off your floors.
- Light up the rooms and turn up the heat. If you have a gas fireplace, you may want to turn it on and warm up the ambiance for showings.
- Show off what your home looks like in the warmer months with photographs. If you have special features, like a garden, patio, or deck that look great in summer, make sure to point them out.
Create a cozy vibe
In many ways, it’s easier to make a home feel cozy and inviting in the winter. When a would-be buyer walks out of the cold into a warm house with an inviting fire in the fireplace and lamps on in late afternoon, they will feel the inviting atmosphere.
Today’s home buyers start their home search online. Make sure your home is in “show shape” for your real estate marketing photos. Declutter. Depersonalize. Show off your home’s selling points. Help the buyer visualize their “stuff” in your home.
Need Help Selling Your Home in the Winter?
Be sure to work with a Signature real estate agent to get your home ready for online house hunters. Listen to our agent’s advice about price, condition and what items need to be tidied up to get your home market ready. We have your best interests in mind and want to help you achieve a quick sale!